One of my favorite recipes to make is Farmhouse Chicken from Tammy's Recipes. I make it regularly for dinner, since everyone in the family loves it, and it's super easy to throw together. But Texas girl that I am, of course I had to think of how I could add a Tex-Mex twist to it. Not to take its place, because we all love the original and I will continue to make it, but just for something... different. I had visions of cornbread, cumin, and peppers dancing in my head, and here is what I came up with.
Only spices needed: salt, pepper, and cumin!
After preparing stuffing on the stovetop, mix in corn, green chilies, jalapeno, green onions, cilantro, and cumin.
Make a basic white sauce with cubed chicken and diced onion, and pour into casserole dish...
TIP for making white sauce with chicken: Cube raw chicken breasts while partially frozen - it makes the job so easy!
Spoon stuffing mix on top and bake.
Yum! Southwest stuffing with a creamy chicken gravy!
- 1 package (12 ounces) cornbread stuffing mix
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can (7 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) corn, drained, or 2 cups frozen corn, thawed and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
2. Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions for the stove top. Stir in chopped green chilies, sliced green onions, chopped jalapeno, corn, cumin, and chopped cilantro. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan and add the chopped yellow onion. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add flour, reduce heat to medium, and cook and stir for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and stir until well-combined. Add cubed chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to a slow boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Pour chicken mixture into prepared dish. Top with stuffing. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly around edges.