Friday, November 29, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am so thankful for my family, for my husband, and each one of my kids. I am thankful for friends and neighbors. I am thankful for an abundance of food, for this wonderful country we live in, for our beautiful state of Washington, and for my goofy dog.


This was our attempt to sort of recreate the Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving painting.


The tablesetting before we all sat down to eat. 

Each person had a pumpkin and a tealight candle at their place (except the 4yo and 2yo!).



The centerpiece. I wanted to create something festive looking, but not too tall, so we would be able to look at each other across the table!


The drink table included iced tea, water, white zinfandel, and sparkling apple cider.


On our menu: Turkey (of course!), homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, Southwest cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, steamed broccoli, homemade dinner rolls.

This is the only way I will eat sweet potatoes. It is more like a dessert. The potatoes are creamed with sugar and butter, and the crunchy topping is made of flour, more butter, brown sugar, pecans, ginger, and nutmeg. Soooo good!

The Southwest stuffing was just a box of cornbread stuffing mix, and I added corn and canned green chilies to it.

 After our first picture, we took a silly one. This one actually reflects our family more accurately!


I didn't get any pictures of the pies, but I made pecan and pumpkin. A couple hours after eating, we had some neighbors over for pie, and they also brought red velvet cake. We had no shortage of sweets! After dessert and a nice visit, the kids spread out on the living room floor to play Apples to Apples. And now, I am going to bed! I am so exhausted. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment