Sunday, February 24, 2013

A 300 Calorie Lunch

Last week, my husband asked me if I could start packing his lunches when he's not out of town. No prob. I pack my 6th grader's lunches every day, and I actually kinda enjoy it. But here's the kicker: he wants me to keep them all around 300 calories. At first I thought, sure, that'll be easy. But the first time I tried to think of what I could pack in his lunch I realized it is going to be a challenge to come up with a variety of delicious, nutritious, portable lunches that can satisfy a grown man, yet meet the calorie needs of a chihuahua.



So, here was my first attempt at creating a 300-calorie lunch for my man. This is a tuna sandwich made on Orowheat Sandwich Thins (100 calories). I mixed the tuna (albacore, his favorite) with a minute amount of mayonnaise, mustard, some chopped onion, celery, and pickles. I measured 1/4 cup of the tuna salad, topped it with some spinach leaves, and calculated that to be around 90 calories. The strawberries & blueberries are around 50, the red pepper strips 15, and the Andes mint chocolate is 25. So, a 280 calorie lunch, give or take.

He said it tasted great and was filling, but it was obvious he was starving by the time he got home from work at 5:30. He followed me around the kitchen like one of my kids, asking, "How much looooonger?" while I worked on getting supper on the table.

1 comment: