First, start with making the soup. This cream of tomato soup is so much tastier than Campbell's* - but just as easy!
Cream of Tomato Soup
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tomato paste cans milk
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tomato paste can heavy cream
1. Whisk tomato paste, milk, celery seed, and salt in a large saucepan together until smooth. Heat over medium heat until almost boiling, stirring frequently, but do not boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and whisk in heavy cream. Serve when heated through. Do not allow to boil. Yield: 6 servings.
While the soup heats, make the grilled cheese sandwiches.
Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 12 slices sturdy white bread
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced or grated
- 1 stick butter, melted
2. Cook sandwiches on hot griddle for about 2 minutes on each side, until cheese is melted and bread is toasted a golden brown. (Do not press down or flatten sandwiches with spatula!)
Yield: 6 sandwiches.
|Mmmm....grilled cheese and tomato soup complement each other perfectly!|
One day recently, I started making tomato soup while she was visiting, and she exclaimed, "So that's how you do it!" I didn't realize I had never passed on my "secret recipe" to her. Now she knows how to make tomato soup the "right" way. :)