Monday, February 25, 2013

Boomerang Daughter & Grandbabies

I love, love, love that my grown daughter now lives less than 3 miles from me. We were first "separated" back in 2007, when we were living in San Antonio, TX, and my Air Force husband received orders to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA. She was 19 and decided she wanted to be on her own and not move with the family. She was going to college, and.....I think there may have been a boy involved. Yeah, there was definitely a boy involved. One year later she was married. Soon after that, the babies came, and I was so far away it hurt. We are now living in Washington State, and she and her little family decided to pick up and move here in December 2011.

Now I get to spend time with her and my grandbabies on a regular basis!


I love it that my shy, contemplative 16-month-old granddaughter shouts, "Nene! Nene!" every time I walk in their door. I love it that my grandson, who was quite wary of me when he was a toddler, greets me at the door with gusto and immediately tells me about his newest toy or creation. I love it that I have a toy basket in the coat closet at home so they always have something to play with when they come over. It is such a privilege that I get to watch these delightful, unique, precious human beings grow up right before my eyes. Now that they're here, I can't imagine life without them!

Just a 10-minute drive and I am at their front door. Whitney offers me coffee and we sit and chat. Austen puts on a serious face for my camera.


I ask River to look so I can take his picture, but like a typical 3-year-old, he keeps turning his face or hiding under the table.  Such a tease. So I say, "Hey River, can you make a mean face?"

 I say, "That's not very mean looking. Come on, make a mean face."

That's better. Now make a silly face.
Great! Now make a surprised face!

You look very surprised!  Now, make a smiley face!

And that's how you get a 3 year old to pose for the camera. :)

The boy, guilty as charged.

7 comments:

  1. Love your blog from a grandmother's point of view! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and commenting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. I have no idea when I'll have grandchildren, so I live vicariously through everyone else's. Good looking kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^The boy!

    Amulbunny, I'm glad you can live vicariously through me. It is so much more fun having grandkids than I ever dreamed. :)

    ReplyDelete